Death Cab For Cutie has been making music for quite some time now, and as the band continues to evolve, there is more to learn about the (recent) trio. DCFC just released their latest album, Kintsugi, so it’s time to brush up on your Death Cab knowledge.
Here are ten things you might not know about Death Cab for Cutie:
1. Ben Gibbard LOVES running, he runs 50 miles per week. He actually broke his wrist on a trail race recently. Listen to Ben tell Bookie the story here.
2. In high school Ben Gibbard was in a punk band called Post Nasal Drip and Nick Harmer was in a group called Thick.
3. Their Collective Arts Black Box Session will have you swooning:
4. Gibbard has scaled Mount Rainier, the highest mountain in his home state of Washington.
5. DCFC started as a solo project in 1997 but Ben decided it was time to turn into a full band and found his group at Western Washington University.
6. Death Cab are huge supporters of PETA, Planned Parenthood, and Bridge School.
7. It wasn’t until their third studio album that they had a charting single. The song that gave them this honour was “A Movie Script Ending”.
8. Narrow Stairs has been dubbed the band’s “most depressing record” by Ben Gibbard.
9. Chris Walla may have left the band before Kintsugi was released but he left his prints all over it. Drummer Jason McGerr said, “[Chris] played on everything and has been involved all the way through, even in the mixing. Even though he’s played his last show with us, he’s still been involved in everything involving this record.”
10. You can listen to their entire new record Kintsugi, with commentary from Bookie and Ben Gibbard at 8pm tonight. Listen live now!