Hozier is taking the music industry by storm. Since his first single “Take Me To Church” was released, he’s been selling out shows all over the world including two here in Toronto. He just played SNL over the weekend and everyone is talking about it, but not much is known about the dark-voiced crooner…until now.
Here are 10 things about Hozier:
1. Hozier’s mother, Raine Hozier-Byrne, did all the artwork for his debut self-titled record.
2. Andrew Hozier-Byrne dropped out of his first year at college to record demos for Universal Music (and good thing it paid off!).
3. Hozier grew up loving blues music; it was always around him because his dad was a blues musician.
4. How do you get sweet hair like Hozier? “Don’t brush it too much and don’t cut it.” Solid advice.
5. “Take Me To Church” was inspired by him and his ex-girlfriend’s break up, and also his love for Nina Simone.
6. The break up he went through “completely changed the way he wrote.” Hozier describes the lyrics he wrote before as “juvenile, angsty, lonely songwriting that teenagers do.”
7. Hozier played in his first band at age 15 as the singer of an 8 piece blues band.
8. Before branching out on his own, Hozier was part of the Irish choir choral group Anúna. He was a soloist from 2009 – 2012.
9. He’ll be returning to Toronto in the new year when he plays Massey Hall with George Ezra.
10. He recently covered the huge Arctic Monkeys song “Do I Wanna Know?”