Last week one of Toronto’s most iconic venues was saved by a last minute purchase. The man with the giant cheque was Michael Wekerle. But who exactly is this mystery man? We know he’s on CBC’s Dragons’ Den, but there is more to the very successful man who has given new life to one of Toronto’s most iconic music venues.
Here are 10 things you might not know about Michael Wekerle:
1. Mike is a music fan, which is obviously a big reason why he snatched up the ‘El Mo’ but he also throws an annual charity concert called “Wekfest” in his hometown of Caldeon, Ontario.
2. Working in finance here in Toronto has earned him the reputation as “one of the greatest traders Bay street has ever seen”.
3. He prefers to be called “Wek”.
5. He was born in Toronto and attended York University before dropping out to work on Bay Street.
7. Michael is very active in the Toronto charity scene and is a big supporter of both CAMH and The Seeds of Hope Foundation.
8. Wek liked one of the teenagers he met through The Seeds of Hope Foundation so much that he paid for them to attend Morehouse College in Atlanta including room and board and tuition that runs over $40,000 per year.
10. One of the most fun facts about Wek is that he actually applied for the 88.1 signal, which was eventually awarded to well, us.