Hamilton darlings Arkells are one of Canada’s indie gems. The group released their first record all the way back in 2008, but how much do you really know about our neighbours to the west?
Here are 10 things you might not know about Arkells:
1. Arkells are named after the street where they had band practice in #HamOnt.
2. After playing their first show at their home town venue The Casbah, their young minds were blown when the headlining act stopped by Max’s dorm room to hand him $75. This was their first paying gig.
3. They have a strong appreciation for Motown music and constantly throw covers into their set.
4. Arkells have a lot of love for their fans and send out christmas cards every year.
5. Frontman Max Kerman loves to shout random “hey!”, “yeah!” and “Oh’s” into his music. Carlin put together a nice clip, listen here.
6. Their song “Whistleblower” was featured in the video game NHL 13.
7. They wrote a song specifically for their hometown CFL team, the Hamilton Ti-Cats, with all the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Club of Hamilton.
8. The name High Noon was given to the new album because they felt the album had a cinematic quality reminiscent of old westerns.
9. Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie has inspired Max Kerman to be the best front man he can: “The great performers never take a night off and I’ve seen The Hip a bunch of times and Gord NEVER takes a night off. It’s really inspiring and I really appreciate that about him.”
10. Arkells sat down with Raina on Monday August 4th and premiered their new record High Noon before it was even released.