Smoky-voiced songstress, Lana Del Rey, was born on June 21, 1986 in New York City. Her interest in music was born when she started singing in a church choir as a child. At the age of 18 her uncle taught her how to play guitar and after that, Del Rey strived to make music her career. Lana Del Rey has seen her dreams come true. Look out for her new album, Ultraviolence, out on June 13th.
Here Are 10 Interesting Facts About Lana Del Rey:
1. Her name isn’t Lana Del Rey, that’s a stage name. Her birth name is Elizabeth Woolridge Grant.
2. At the age of 15 she was sent to a boarding school to help her deal with alcohol dependence.
3. She attended Fordham University in New York and studied metaphysics before dropping out to focus on art, writing and video editing.
4. Lana Del Rey’s debut record may have been a self-titled release in 2010, but her father paid for her to create an entire album under the alias May Jailer in 2006.
5. She was ready to quit the music dream but found success with the song “Video Games” under her latest stage name Lana Del Rey
6. “Video Games” managed to gain over 20 million youtube views in the first five months.
7. Along with Lana Del Rey and May Jailer, other stage names she had used include: Sparkle Jump Rope Queen, Lana Rey Del Mar and Phenomena.
8. She has the letter “M” tattooed on her hand as a tribute to her late grandmother Madeline, whom she was very close with.
9. Not only is Del Rey a singer, she’s also a contracted model under Next Model Management.
10. She has two apartments, one in New York and the other in L.A. where she lives with her brother and sister.