After years of silence from Modest Mouse, the the band will drop their first LP in five years this Tuesday. Brush up on your Modest Mouse knowledge below.
Here are 10 things you may not know about Modest Mouse:
2. Jeremiah Green can speak a bit of Japanese which can be heard on the song “Night on the Sun”.
3. While recording The Moon & Antarctica, Isaac Brock was beaten up by a group of 14 kids that ended up breaking his jaw. This set the recording process back quite a bit.
4. Brock is an atheist. He said, “I don’t think I’m living wrong in the first place, so when the lights go out on me, and brighter ones come on and I have to talk to some guy with a big, bushy beard, or some big glowing blob, I think I’m going to be fine.”
5. The record Sad Sappy Sucker was originally supposed to be the debut record from the band but constant delays pushed the release date back and it was eventually forgotten about. The album was released 7 years after the recording took place.
6. Modest Mouse got their name from a Virginia Woolf book that described the poor as “modest, mouse-like people.”
7. “Gravity Rides Everything” was used in a Nissan minivan commercial which caused some back lash that Modest Mouse was “selling out”. Isaac responded to the comments saying, “People who don’t play music for a living can criticize my morals while they live off their parents’ money or wash dishes for some asshole.”
10. Lupe Fiasco used a sample of “Float On” for his song “The Show Goes On”. It was personally cleared with the band.