Both Keanu Reeves and producer James McTeigue have revealed that there’s no sequel planned for The Matrix Resurrections.
The movie just debuted in theaters and on HBO Max last week, but fans are already speculating about a sequel to do its open ending. But, in separate interviews, Reeves and McTeigue have said there’s nothing planned.
Reeves took to the Empire podcast, revealing that he didn’t think director Lana Wachowski wanted to do another Matrix movie.
There are no plans for The Matrix 5, according to #TheMatrixResurrections producer James McTeigue:
— Screen Rant (@screenrant) December 28, 2021
“If I had to cast a ballot – no, not a ballot, a vote – I would say that Lana would not do another Matrix,” Reeves says. Co-star Carrie-Anne Moss responded saying that they once believed the same about Resurrections. Reeves then responded, “I’m there if it’s there… If she invites me again, I’m in.”
McTeigue was even more direct, shutting down the prospect of a sequel in his interview with Collider.
“At the moment, it’s just the movie you’ve seen,” McTeigue says. “We’ve got no prequel in mind. We’ve got no sequel in mind. We’ve got no further trilogy.”
He did continue on to say that the ending left an open opportunity to continue with the Matrix franchise.
“The film also works where it’s really open to audience interpretation, like what happened in those 60 years before they fished Neo out again, or Thomas Anderson to Neo,” McTeigue adds. “When Neo and Trinity are there at the end, and they’re talking with the analyst, what do they actually mean that they’re going to change? So I think that it’s out there, but it’s not in our wheelhouse at the moment.”